Digital Media Student’s Commercial Wins Utah Film Commission Contest!

UVU Digital Media student Andy Buys was the campaign winner of the ninth annual Utah Film Commission “Spot On” Commercial Contest.

This is the fourth consecutive year that a UVU DGM student has won a top award in the different categories of the “Spot On” contest. Buys received his award at the Utah Film Commission Winter Luncheon in Salt Lake City in front of more than 200 filmmakers, producers, actors and crew representing the Utah film industry.

“Receiving this award along with a great deal of positive feedback has blown me away,” Buys said. “I knew I had worked hard and had a good concept, but showing your work to a large audience is a nerve-racking experience.”

Buys, who graduated earlier this year with a bachelor’s degree in digital media with an emphasis in cinema production, said he wanted to put Utah’s world-class landscapes at the center of his spots. His theme was “Utah is Epic,” and everything in his commercials from the music, color and timing, to the lenses used, camera movement and title graphics were built around this theme.

“My goal was to capture a portion of the awe I feel every time I’m out in the desert or up in the mountains,” Buys said. “By having a simple and extremely focused concept, I feel I was able to reach this goal.”

Buys received $3,000 for his winning commercial spot, official Utah Film Commission gear, credentials to the 2012 Sundance Film Festival and passes to various events during the film festival. His commercial also will air on Park City Television during the film festival. To see his winning commercial spot, CLICK HERE.

Entrants had to produce and direct individual or a campaign of 30-second commercial spots that market the state of Utah as a destination for film production. A panel of judges consisting of motion picture and advertising professionals chose the winning commercials. Candidates had to be Utah residents or attending school in Utah to enter the free contest.