Tips to survive the parking lots at UVU
Parking at UVU is a hassle with which everybody is familiar. Despite our best efforts, the math simply doesn’t add up when it comes to spaces available for the volume of students that drive in and out of campus every day. So what can you do to ease the burden?
There are a few obvious practices that we often ignore; arriving early and leaving late, for instance. Plan a few chores, like catching up on emails or paying bills online before or after class so that you can avoid parking during peak hours. Don’t be afraid to wear out your shoe leather, either. How often do we spend 15 minutes trying to find a parking spot that will only save a few minutes’ worth of walking time than some of the more distant lots?
Tena Medina, supervisor of UVU Parking Services, has these tips and reminders to offer:
- Parking permits are required to park on campus at all times
- Students, employees and visitors are all required to have a parking permit
- Arrive to campus early
- You can purchase permits at OneStop, online or at the main parking office
- Purchase your permit before the semester begins
- Permits must be displayed properly or you will be cited
- Students and employees are expected to abide by all the parking rules and regulations
- More information can be found on our website uvu.edu/parking, or by calling the main parking office at (801) 863-8188
Furthermore, pay attention to your daily parking habits — which lots do you hardly ever consider using, and why? Is there a reasonable substitute lot that you’ve never tried? As you make a conscious effort to make your commute more efficient, you’ll pick up little tricks. For instance, Mike Maughan, the director of University events, suggests using the Orem Center Street exit off I-15 instead of University Parkway. Coming in through Center Street and then on 1200 West or 800 West will save you from the logjam that accumulates on Parkway as well as the main roundabout at the UVU entrance.
What tips and tricks have you learned in your time at UVU? Please share them in the comment section or on Twitter with #uvuparking. (Good fortune follows those who impart parking secrets.)